Wednesday 3 September 2014

This could be Ellesmere, or anywhere.

I've been working in Ellesmere Port this week. If you've never been, it's a northern industrial town on the banks of the Manchester Ship Canal and has kept itself busy producing chemicals, refining oil and building Vauxhall Astras. But its high street, Whitby Road, looks like many other roads in less affluent parts of the UK. When walking to work from the train station, I was struck by a feeling that this was not a street designed to improve your wellbeing. There are other streets, of course, as well as out-of-town arcades, shopping centres and supermarkets, but I wasn't there, I was here.


An air quality display in front of a pawnbroker and takeaways.

Due to train scheduling, I had 45 minutes to do a 20 minute walk this morning. I decided, as I'm sure many of you would, to categorize every building along the main, built-up section of the street and then turn this into a pie-chart. I've never really made a 3D pie-chart with pulled out segments as if I was giving a key-note speech so this seemed particularly appealing.

The results are below. It's not very (at all) scientific. I didn't document or publish my aims and methods before setting off, though I did come up with the categories on the train in advance. There were some tricky businesses selling multiple classes of goods and services (there was a company that would do you a loan, book you a taxi or a sell you a refurbished washing machine that I struggled to place...). I'm not sure that I could reproduce my findings, never mind anyone else. Some of the vacant buildings did have people working on them or 'coming soon' signs but I kept them as vacant. There was a Blockbuster that I may have put as retail, when it could have been a service but then I remembered that it has actually gone into administration so I'm pretty sure it went to the vacant category.





Anyhow, minor errors aside, you'll see that there a quite a few businesses here that do not have the health of Ellesmere Port's people as their first concern. There are quite a few pawn shops and short term loan companies, which might be profiting from people's financial difficulties. Once you've got your loan, you can promptly lose it at a range of bookmakers, amusement arcades and bingo halls. It is much easier to spend your money on cigarettes, alcohol or fast-food than anything healthy. I tried to find an apple on my way to the station yesterday evening. I had to settle for an Apple Tango.

The food shops include an Iceland supermarket. This does offer some vegetables and I'm sure you could craft some healthier meals from its wares but looking at this site - http://www.iceland.co.uk/amazing-iceland-value/ - I suspect that it would be easier not to. The other is a Polish shop called Baltic Store. I had to give this place the benefit of the doubt as it wasn't open when I went past. The Apple Tango came from an off-license with a few groceries but the only fresh veg was some green potatoes.

The takeaways ranged from fried chicken to pizzas, to kebabs and burgers and fish & chips. You could dine in at an Indian takeaway or Subway as far as I could see (you can get some salad there, but you'll be offered a meal deal with a large sugary drink) or at the pub. I'm not against all pubs and agree that they can be an important part of the community, but this one was part of a large chain and offered discounts and drink offers.  

There are streets that are worse - I didn't see any sunbed salons for instance - but it is still easy to see how people walking down streets such as these with a limited amount of money in their pockets, end up making unhealthy choices. Surely one of the vacant shops could sell some fruit and veg?

Thankfully, it's not all doom and gloom. I came across the Montague Cafe, which is part of a council-led scheme and offers employment to young people and sells alcohol-free drinks and healthier food options.

The council are offering grants to landlords of long-term vacant properties to enable refurbishment and occupation by community groups and projects and this is starting to improve a few buildings along the street.
I found an arts and photography project called the Paperboat Gallery
and another project called the Fablab, where schools and community groups can fabricate, err, all sorts of things

It's this sort of action by councils and community groups that can really make a difference to where we live and work. Well done to them and the local MP Andrew Miller ( http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10435/andrew_miller/ellesmere_port_and_neston ). They are limited in what they can do though. If it's more profitable to sell booze, fags and takeaways than fruit and veg, then that's what businesses will offer. If they are cheaper to buy and it's hard to even find, never mind afford healthy alternatives, then that's what people will buy. Only legislation at national and international level can really change this.

I brought my own apple today, I needn't have bothered. On the way home I called into the Polish food store and its selection of fruit and veg was fantastic. I'd recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment